It’s been two years since I published my last L.A. Guide; so much has changed and there are a lot of new places and flourishing neighborhoods to explore! It’s about time I update the guide and feature more L.A. spots because these cities are destinations on their own.
For the first part of our L.A. Guide series, my team headed to Northeast L.A. – home to the eclectic Highland Park. The neighborhood is still mostly residential but the two main streets – Figueroa and York are teeming with vintage stores, restaurants, contemporary galleries, and local boutiques. Here’s a list of the places we love:
1. Joy – They serve affordable and quick Taiwanese dishes. We recommend getting the Thousand Layer Pancake with egg and cheese. Ask for a side of chili and basil for a more refreshing take! Come early or be prepared to queue because it is that good.
2. Cafe Birdie – The perfect brunch spot for Mediterranean and American inspired dishes. You’ll definitely fall in love with the food and interiors. They serve classic Eggs Benedict to Moroccan-spiced Fried Chicken.
3. Triple Beam Pizza – Known for their Roman-style pizzas rectangularly cut and thicker crusts, this pizzeria along Figueroa is worth a visit. They also have beer and wine to pair with your choice of pizza that is paid by the ounce.
If you’re down for a more casual night out, head to York Boulevard on a Friday or Saturday evening! The streets will be filled with food trucks serving various cuisines and a handful of vegan options as well. There’s definitely something for everyone…even a local pet shop for your furry friends.
1. Shorthand – This stationery store was Patricia’s favorite. The whole store was organized by color and they already have various 2020 diaries for sale. This store is heaven for your desk.
2. Matters of Space – This home goods store is also an interior design studio. We love their selection of Scandinavian inspired home decor and Mid-Century modern furniture
3. Sonomama – ‘Offerings for self & space’ reads on their facade. Truly, this store will remind you of #selfcare and #selflove. They have curated selections of clothing, apothecary, books and jewelry. We spotted Aimee’s favorite Maison Louis Marie candles here!
4. Owl Bureau – This aesthetically pleasing bookstore is actually a creative center where they host exhibitions and artist-in-residence programs. We enjoyed browsing through their collection of art, fashion, architecture and design books.
Save our favorite spots on Google Maps here