I try to stay hydrated at all times but even more especially during the summer. Drinking plain water can be boring, and drinking too much soda (not going to lie, I used to be a soda/coffee addict) isn’t that healthy, so here comes my favorite way of drinking water… Using tasty fruits and herbs! Because most fruits have natural vitamins and nutrients, it helps you hydrated and energized throughout this crazy heat. Did I mention it’s amazing for detoxing too?
Today I wanted to share with you all 5 different flavor combos: Cucumber-Lime, Blueberry-Clementine, Strawberry-Mint and Lemon-Pineapple. #NOM
So let’s start with the ingredients.
½ of a pineapple
2 Clementine or Tangerine
1 container of Blueberries
1 container of Strawberries
1 bunch of Mint
1 bottle of Sparkling water
Couple trays of Ice (pre-made with filtered water)
Couple pitchers of filtered water
5 Mason jars or any glass cups
2 Empty ice trays
Just so you know, I’m just demonstrating each recipe for one serving for each flavor. You can choose your pick and make a whole pitcher.
It’s SUPER important to wash the fruits and herbs thoroughly. They need to be extremely clean to keep contaminants and bacteria out of your water. I always recommend organic fruits, if it isn’t going to be peeled. One trick my best friend Jennia taught me was to wash them with a few spoons of vinegar in the water. Drown it for about 5-7mins.
1. We’re going to trying something fun! Just like when I made my watermelon juice for fourth of july (here) I’m going to freeze some blueberries with mint and strawberries also with mint. Simply drop 4-6 blueberries in each tray slots and a couple of mint leaves as well. Cut the strawberries into thin slices and add a few in and mints as well. Fill the tray with filtered water and freeze it for about 5 hours. (yes, this part takes a while to freeze so you can prepare it the day before if you are having a party.)
3. Here’s how you cut a pineapple. First, place the pineapple on its’ side on the cutting board and remove the stalk right through the skin. Cut the bottom of it too. Stand the pineapple and cut the skin off of the sides from top to bottom in strips following its’ shape, sort of like a crescent. Continue cutting strips all around. Make sure you get rid of the brown blotches. Then from the same position, cut it in half or fours and remove the core. Finally, cut it in small bite sizes.
4. Now, here is the fun part. You will prepare the fruits in the glass before you add the water. Going to start off with the blueberry-clementine so grab a mason jar. If you’re anything like me, you want it not only to taste great but look pretty, right? So here’s how you do it. First, drop a slice of clementine flat on the bottom of the jar. With a wooden spoon, slightly press down and give it a twist a few times to burst the flavors out. Then drop a couple of ice cubes that we made in the jar and one by one, slide in each slices of clementine all around against the wall. The ice will support and keep in place the slices from falling forward or floating around. Add a handful of blueberries and keep it in the fridge for now.This is what the frozen ice cubes would look like after several hours. Aren’t they so pretty?
5. Lemon-Pineapple. Same way, you will drop a slice of lemon flat down on the bottom of the jar and release some flavors and again sliding the lemons all around the jar. Add a few pineapples and put aside as well.
6. Next running up is the Cucumber-Lime. Repeat the same steps using the lime. With this one, I added a long thin strip of cucumber right above the lime.
Last but never the least, Strawberry Mint. For this one. I simply chopped the strawberries in halves and took a good amount of mint leaves and dropped it in the cup. SOO easy right?
7. I’m sure you’ll have fruits leftover so for the last cup, I combined all the fruits and mints then added Sparkling water. It gives that extra kick!
Voila, a teeny bit time consuming (especially if you want to make them look pretty) but nonetheless super tasty and healthy fruit flavored water is ready! You can drink it right away but the flavor intensifies and is even better the next day. It’s perfect for parties and I bet your guests will be pretty impressed! Hope you enjoy your new flavored H20 and stay healthy and hydrated! xo